Perolman in the Promised Land

adventures in hummus, hebrew, traveling, new friends, Rabbinics, guitar and weblogging.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Marriage Proposal at Burgers Bar

So today I took my Mom and Dad to Burgers Bar, one of my most favorite places to eat here in Jerusalem.

While in line, I recognized a man standing in line in front of us. It took me a minute to place him, but I soon realized that it was Michael Steinhardt, one of the richest Jewish men in the world and one of the main sponsors of the Birthright Israel program. His name is everywhere. I was a Steinhardt JCSC Fellow last year.

So I tapped him on the shoulder and introduced myself. We had the "what are you doing now?" conversation for about 30 seconds before he looked at my hands and asked me if I was married.

I told him that a wedding band goes on your left hand (I wear a ring on my right hand) and again he asked if I was married.

I said no.

He then called over one of his assistants and introduced him to me. His name was Alan, Single, Jewish, 39 and a lawyer in Manhattan. What more could a girl ask for?

I laughed, said I was a little young to be getting hitched and sat down to eat my lunch. I though the game was over.

However, when they were leaving, Michael came over to say goodbye and asked me again if I would be interested in marrying Alan. He was especially excited after learning that I would be moving to New York next year.

He said that if I agreed AT THAT MOMENT that he would pay for the wedding AND fly us to one of his Caribbean islands for the honeymoon. Alan piped in to say that he bet Burgers Bar would be willing to cater it.

An awkward silence filled the air as I realized that he wasn't kidding.

In a moment of panic I told him that my boyfriend wouldn't be too happy about me agreeing to marry someone else.

I did my nervous laugh. Michael looked disappointed. Alan looked relieved.

They left, I went back to my chicken salad and my Mom and Dad exchanged a "what the hell just happened" look.

Yes that's right, I had a chance to marry into Steinhardt's empire and I turned it down.

All in a days work here in the Promised Land.

6 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ariela may have looked good in a bathing suit at 13 when you were 9 and pissed but she never had a random bazillionaire propose on behalf of someone else. You totally win.

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Avi said...

Sketchy

 
At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL! Kar, that's so hot! You have the best stories and I love it because they're all true! Miss you always.

Love,
Lauren :)

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...that is all i can say...wow...
:) just another fun day in the holy land...your parents must have been like what the *&%@ is going on in this country!!!

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Ashira said...

At least the ackward moment about bringing him home to your parents would have been out of the way...

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the wedding would be a great idea if he would also foot the bills for the divorce lawyer...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home