Perolman in the Promised Land

adventures in hummus, hebrew, traveling, new friends, Rabbinics, guitar and weblogging.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Happy Birthday to ME!

I know it's been almost a week since my birthday, but better late than never. Right.

First and foremost, here are the pics- enjoy! share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNWTlq2bOXdg

Recap of the weekend:

Thursday night I had dinner with my camp director Frank and my camp friends Matt and Jen- after dinner we made our way over to Mike's Place on Yoel Solomon- perhaps the most "American" bar in all of J'lem. I hadn't planned on drinking quite so much, but after a few birthday shots and drinks, the night got a lot better and I was dragged home by Rena, Rachel, Robyn and Edie. Quote of the night (by me, of course) [to Rena] "I want you to buy me a black velvet kippah."

Friday I woke up in the afternoon in time to nurse my hangover, shower and get ready for Shabbat. We had services at school, dinner with the class and then a dessert oneg for my friend Bekah's birthday. Got to sleep early- an early birthday present.

Saturday I relaxed and did some homework as I knew that I wouldn't have time to do it after Shabbat. I had been told earlier in the month that I would be expected on Saturday night- 8pm, "dressed up" and not expecting to be home early.

At 8pm on the dot Rena knocked on my door with a Hershey kiss and a chocolate martini. We walked to Rachel's apartment. When I walked into her apartment there were little tea lights everywhere, tables covered in pink tablecloths, a corner with martini recipes taped to the wall, sex and the city DVDs hanging from the ceiling and Sex and the City playing on the TV...it was a Sex and the City party for me!

And of course, everyone who is anyone was there...Rena, Rachel and Robyn,Claire and Neil, Matt and Jen, Esther and Mel, Sandi and Jill, David and Julia, David Segal, Jen, Deb, Michael Edie, Lauren, Alon and Rose- everyone had brought or made something for the event including mini-pizzas, spinach-artichoke dip in a breadbowl, guacamole, tofu pigs in a blanket, veges and hummus, olives, all kinds of cheeses and crackers. On the other side of the room was a table featuring all sorts of drinks and the equipment to make all kinds of martinis including choclotinis, appletinis and my personal favorite, flirtinis (vodka, pineapple juice and champagne). Yumm.

And of course there was dessert! Rena had made me a special strawberry shortcake birthday cake (see the pics) and everyone sang. Other than the singing, we all ate a lot of food, drank as much as we thought we could (for a school night!), talked, laughed, took pictures, and generally enjoyed the night. I got home around 11pm (an hour before my birthday began) and slept my way into my mid-twenties.

Sunday I had four classes and a voice lesson, but afterwards Rachel met me at Cafe Hillel for coffee before dinner. Then we met up with Edie, Rena and Rena's mom, Marcie who's visiting. We ate at Olive, my *favorite* place and I got the Thai Chicken- my favorite dish. I got home, talked to my whole family, did some homework and went to sleep with a smile on my face.

I was so touched that so many people, most of whom I hadn't even met 7 months ago, put so much time and effort into a party for me. It was probably the best birthday party I can remember-- I'm so so lucky and blessed to have the most wonderful friends here (R & R take the cake).

AND I have the most wonderful friends all over the world who sent me birthday emails, text messages, IMs, and called me on my special day. I love you all- thank you so much.

So now I'm in my mid-twenties. I look pretty good, no? Happy weekend- love to everyone!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home