Perolman in the Promised Land

adventures in hummus, hebrew, traveling, new friends, Rabbinics, guitar and weblogging.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Not so much sleep but whatever...

Thursday morning we left on our final tiyul, this time to the desert. I'll recap the highlights since most of the four days were spent relaxing and enjoying the beautiful scenery with my friends. Thursday after visiting Miztpe Ramon we drove to Kibbutz Yahel (the first Reform kibbutz) and picked up camping gear. We drove an hour south into Eilat and camped near the Israel/Egypt border.

I thought the camping was great, but some of my classmates didn't agree so much. Especially after they told us there would be a bathroom and there wasn't. Ashkenazi stomachs + every other girl on her period = need for bathrooms. Some people went back to the kibbutz to sleep, others stayed at the campsite. I ate dinner, smoked hookah and drank wine with Sandi, Mel, Rena and Shayna before getting some shut eye beneath the stars. I can't remember the time I've seen stars that bright and beautiful.

Friday we woke up, packed up the campsite, went hiking for about 5 hours and then went back to Yahel for Shabbat. I stayed with Rena, Mel and Shayna who turned out to be *fabulous* roommates and provided for much late-night entertainment. Plus, we had 5 episodes of L Word - Season 3 to start watching. I'm so hooked. [I've only watched 1-5 so please don't spoil the other espisodes- especially what happens with Dana...I have two weeks of waiting until the next episode!]

Shabbat was wonderfully restful- I helped lead tefilot in the morning and took and long shluff in the afternoon. I also led Havdallah with Emily Dunn. After dinner we watched more L Word and then joined in the fun at the group kareokee event. My standard piece, "Papa Don't Preach," wasn't available so I sang "Always be my Baby" by Mariah Carey. It was a really fun night [I mean, who wouldn't want to sing kareokee with Paul Liptz, Moshe and Gingi?!]

Sunday we woke up and visited Kibbutz Lotan before getting back to J'lem around 6pm.

Sunday night I met up with Rena, Deb and Rena's parents who are in town for Pesach. We had dinner at Foccacia Bar- [yummy bread before we can't eat it anymore] and I got home late in order to unpack, gather my laundry and clean my room.

Monday I met Rena early to have breakfast with her parents before getting Asher and getting in the car for a little day trip. We went to Rosh Pina, a little town about 3 hours north of Jerusalem. We shopped a little and had a late lunch at Shokolateh, a *fabulous* chocolate-oriented restaurant. Right before dessert we ran into Yael and Simon, the daughter and son-in-law of Rena's mom's friend's sister [confused? don't worry- i am too!] who are in town from London for the seder that we'll all be at on Wednesday night. We left Rosh Pina and made it back in time for me to go to dinner with my friend Robyn and SEVEN of her family members that are visiting. After dinner I rushed home for a quick shower and job interview with a religious school in New York. Assuming my references check out, I'll have a 2-3 day/a week job at a wonderful shul in the city. Names and details to come once it's official. After the interview and on cloud 9, Rena and I went out to celebrate Shayna's 27th birthday with Mel and Lev who were leaving at 2:30 am for Bellarus.

Cut to Today- Tuesday.
I got up at 4:30 am to get in the car to get to Ben-Gurion by 5:30 where my very best friend ALISON RACHEL was waiting for me there! Yay! I haven't seen Ali since July, before I left for Israel. She's on the last leg of her spring break trip (Budapest, Prague, Israel) before heading back to Madrid for the rest of her semester abroad. We took a quick morning nap, met Rachel for coffee, shopped til we dropped (literally) and did the Passover food shopping thing.

Then I aluminum foiled my entire kitchen in preparation for Pesach. I made chicken soup. I moved the chametz stuff into the oven room. I got a new toothbrush. Pesach is here whether I like it or not. Don't worry, I like it.

Plan for the rest of Ali's visit:
-Old City/Kotel
-Seder
-Day trip to Masada, Dead Sea and Ein Geddi.

Sleep? It's for the weak. Or, I'll start catching up soon. Pictures from the tiyul to come tonight.

1 Comments:

At 7:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - you are certainly living it up! sounds like you are doing well and having a great time!
xoxo - happy and healthy passover

 

Post a Comment

<< Home