Perolman in the Promised Land

adventures in hummus, hebrew, traveling, new friends, Rabbinics, guitar and weblogging.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Karen Goes Biking- Day 1




Many of you know that I'm begining to train for a five day bike ride here in Israel that will raise money for Progressive (Reform) Congregations, Camps and Schools. It's called the Ride 4 Reform and this is the third year that HUC students from Israel and the states, Rabbis, Cantors and Educators from Israel and the states and others will come together for the ride.

Friday was my first "official" training ride with Neil, who has graciously offered to serve as my coach while I get my riding feet wet again ("It's just like riding a bike!"). Though I am in pretty good shape, I hadn't been on a bike since I was in high school. Maybe a couple times at camp, but not since then.

So Friday morning Neil and I suited up (Yes, those are SPANDEX bike shorts I'm wearing...Rena really wanted to take pictures and I couldn't get on the bike and grab the camera from her hand at the same time!) and went for a ride around our neighborhood and the Israel museum. Some parts were hard, some were easy, all were fun. All made me realize that I need to be doing A LOT more biking to get my body in the right kind of shape for this ride.

Here's the plan: 1. Buy a bike that is the right size for me. 2. Buy some riding gloves. 3. Buy a camelback (a water pouch you wear on your back). 4. Start riding a couple days a week. 5. Bike at the gym instead of running or using the eliptical machine. 6. Start doing weights to strengthen my back so I don't hurt so much after my next ride.

You'll be hearing much more about the ride in the months to come (like how you can sponsor me!) But for now, check out the Ride 4 Reform Website.

A new post on my various-selichot experiences and pre-High Holy Days thoughts to come! Hope all are enjoying their weekends and love to all who are reading!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home